Wednesday 11 June 2014

Should the Canucks obtain 1st overall pick, do they choose Sam Reinhart or Aaron Ekblad?

The rumour the TEAM 1040 radio guys are batting around is that the Florida Panthers want the Canucks first-round choice, #6 overall, plus last year’s first-round pick Bo Horvat in return for the first overall pick. Now Bo Horvat has never impressed me, caught my eye, in any Memorial Cup or other game I’ve seen him in, or at the World Juniors. I’m probably underestimating him, but if I’m Trevor Linden I pull the trigger on that deal.

But that’s me, and I’m not the best judge of these things. The thinking is that the Canucks would use this pick on local product Sam Reinhart, while I’d go for Aaron Ekblad. I know the deal about choosing a defenceman that high, history shows you should go for the skilled forward instead, but this year I don’t think the forwards are in the McKinnon-Drouin league, they’re not all that exciting, not franchise players like Steve Stamkos, clear first overall material. Aaron Ekblad is the d-man who has it all, plus he’s a rightie. He steps into the Canuck lineup immediately and makes it better for a decade.

No comments:

Post a Comment