I was at the Canucks-Coyotes pre-season game Monday night.
- The Sedin brothers look as great as ever, so amazing to see how they pass the puck back and forth. Radim Vrbata on their right wing is a work in progress, but it makes sense that he’s not quite on the same wavelength yet.
- Radim Vrbata scored on a powerplay from Sedin brother passes setting him up for a one-timer. Mike Smith kind of smothered it, squeezing the post, and then keeled over and the puck sneaked in. They showed four replays and I still haven’t quite seen it in the net though.
- Kid line of Shinkaruk-Horvath-Jensen caused a few sparks, but were mostly ineffectual.
- Swiss boys and national team teammates but opponents on this night Michael Boedker and Yannick Weber gave each other a quick greeting on the ice before a faceoff.
- Joe Vitale was dangerous all night, picked up a goal and an assist, was around Ryan Miller’s net with the puck the whole game.
- Oliver Ekman-Larsson and Keith Yandle were a good pairing together.
- No word of a lie, some goofball did a Jumbotron proposal, and amazingly, she said yes. On the drive back, Kenny got us to back off and supposed there might be an explanation, that maybe they met at a Canucks game, or they went there on a first date. We grumbled and admitted that was possible.
- Highlight of the night: during a confrontation between Luka Sbisa and a Coyote, a whole section at one end of the rink, populated by minor hockey players wearing their team jerseys, starting jumping up and down in sync, and chanting “Fight! Fight! Fight!” Really colourful, and a hopeful message for humanity that these various teams could come together as one in the quest for one goal. Comedy.
- I didn’t win the 50-50 draw. I should have spent that money on more beer.