Saturday 5 October 2019

Game 2: Canadiens 6, Leafs 5 (SO)

The Canadiens took another game all the way to the shootout, after Thursday's loss against the Hurricanes, but this time, they came out with a 6-5 win.




When the Leafs tied the game then jumped out to a 4-1 lead, I reflected that this was the expected result, the Leafs being built to win now, while the Canadiens in my opinion need to onboard more talent for a couple seasons or so.  A team with Victor Mete on its first pairing on defence and with Phillip Danault as its first-line centre, no matter how valiantly they play above their station, isn't ready to compete with another turning in a lineup with John Tavares and Auston Matthews 1-2 at centre.  Or is that 1A-1B?

So yeah, I'd admitted defeat, was more concerned about how to keep the game respectable at this point, more concerned with how this would affect my fantasy team.  And I was okay with that, I'm not one of the simpletons who claim that the Canadiens MUST make the playoffs this season.  I'm going to be satisfied with a season where the team skates and plays hard, with intensity and drive, a team that shows spirit and courage, that supports each other and develops.  Give me a season where KK takes another step forward, where Nick Suzuki and Ryan Poehling become productive, promising members of the team, where we can see just around the corner Cole Caufield and Alex Romanov, and I'll be happy.

So while I was cheering for a moral victory, the Canadiens had other ideas.  They don't quit as easy as I do.

What a comeback, what a game.  Four unanswered goals by the Canadiens to respond to the Leafs' four, giving them a 5-4 lead, until Auston Matthews (him again) tied it on the powerplay with 90 seconds to go.  An exciting end-to-end overtime didn't decide it, although both teams came close, especially Max Domi, with a shot that hit Michael Hutchison in the mask before striking the crossbar flush. 

I think I'll get my wish.  This will be an exciting team to watch this season.

No comments:

Post a Comment