Friday 16 December 2011

We need stability, not wholesale dismissals

I’m sick of reading posts enjoining Mr. Molson to fire everyone, right now, in the middle of the season, even without a clear plan for the future.

Geoff Molson has owned the team for barely a year now, he is still getting his feet under him and getting to understand the business. The last thing I want him to do is go in guns blazing like a George Steinbrenner. I don’t want him to play fantasy hockey with my team, to aggrandize his ego by playing GM like Jerry Jones does with the Cowboys.

I’ve seen Mr. Molson interviewed on RDS, and I liked what I saw. He spoke flawless French, didn’t at all seem like the rich spoiled kid some posters make him out to be, but rather a guy who got lots of advantages and made good use of them. He plays hockey himself, he’s a hockey dad, talked about how much the Canadiens meant to him, to his family, and the province of Quebec. He talked about stability and winning the Stanley Cup. A couple of days before the interview he’d spent time online checking out the Habs ticket site to see what ticket-buyers were up against and whether the system can be improved.

Mr. Molson, I know you’re reading this, please don’t make any rash decisions to please the pessimists and alarmists. In your position you’re the best person to know how those in the organization are performing and when changes need to be made.

No comments:

Post a Comment